Sunday, August 19, 2012

Carousel [Forest Park]


Forest Park Carousel. My oldest memory of the Carousel at Forest Park is 5th grade senior trip. My elementary school held a barbecue for us graduating seniors (we were so eager to move up in the ranks of life at that age). The cheese bus we rode was stale and moldy (Have they gotten better?). The seats old, dark green things that felt harder than planks of wood - the deep color masking the dirt and sweat that accumulated from the commotions of the young. Finding the seat belts took longer than the trip itself. That day the entire fifth grade made its way to Forest Park. Of all of them, in my heart, I felt I was the most thrilled to encounter a real, live carousel. I was prepared. My enthusiasm flying out the window, above the buildings, and away past the dreary, foretelling clouds.

We got to Forest Park. The teachers announced, "The carousel is closed." ..Bummer.

This time around, it was open. And quite a few passed around to enjoy it. I say take the kids, take yourselves, ride the carousel. It's a classic experience. And joyful, simple entertainment.

Cick : Carousel










No comments:

Post a Comment