Friday, August 24, 2012

Freedom of the Human Spirit

Marshall Fredericks created the sculpture "Freedom of the Human Spirit" for the 1964 World's Fair [wiki]

His intentions were to represent something that is free from worldly things. Independent of the Earth. What I find pretty funny is that it is placed directly in front of the World. I have a simple sense of humor.

Below are some shots I took that I truly enjoyed.

Hope you enjoy, more to come soon!



I must admit, my previous interactions with this statue would often cause confusion at exactly what type of birds those were surrounding the male and female. I always assumed they were the same geese that are constantly strolling through the park- I was so very wrong. They are actually giant swans, gracefully enough. Regardless it is a beautiful statue and the idea behind it romanticizes it further.


I particularly appreciated this angle as they are literally soaring past the World. This statue is a healthy reminder to look beyond worldly things and view life with a broader, unlimited perspective.

Anyone else come across this without knowing its story and make up your own? Share your experiences with Fredericks' masterpiece featured here at our own Flushing Meadows Park!

Happy Friday!


P.S. U.S. Open countdown! Flushing Meadows is bustling this time of year; the air is ripe with enthusiasm and excitement for the tournaments. Now if we could only score some sweet tickets to an awesome game! Somebody, get on it (I'll pay back with awesome shots! Haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment